Do not forget to include your pets when preparing for an emergency.
A list of potential items you may need for your pets may be found at http://virginiasart.org/pet-tips/pet-emergency-go-bags/
August 20, 2015
Danny Becomes First Hurricane of 2015 on Path Toward Caribbean
Danny became the first hurricane of the 2015 Atlantic season this week and is on track to bring drenching rain to part of the northern Caribbean islands next week.
Disaster info: vaemergency.gov @VDEM on Twitter vaemergency on Facebook
Traffic info: Call 511 Visit 511virginia.org Download 511 smartphone app
What People Should Do
- People living and visiting in the Hampton Roads region should pay close attention to local media and local officials for information.
- Check emergency supplies to be sure you have non-perishable food for at least three days and three days’ of water for your family (one gallon per person/per day).
- Have flashlights and extra batteries, a battery-powered and/or hand-crank radio and extra batteries in case power goes out.
- Other important items are a first aid kit and extra supply of medications, if needed.
- Get a supply checklist at www.ReadyVirginia.gov
- Download the free Ready Virginia app for iPhone and Android devices. The app contains an emergency supply checklist, an emergency plan and streams statewide emergency information.
- If you have pets, make sure you have an emergency plan and supplies for them.
Additional Resources to Stay Informed
- View videos about storm surge and its danger and how to prepare for a hurricane at www.youtube.com/vaemergency
- Maps of storm surge areas and evacuation routes can be found at www.vaemergency.gov
- Call 511 or visit www.511Virginia.org for traffic conditions.
- www.vaemergency.gov for a storm blog with statewide information
- @vdem – Twitter feed for storm updates from the Virginia Department of Emergency Management
- VAemergency – Facebook page for VDEM
If you would like to make a cash donation to the Virginia State Animal Response Team, please click on the DONATE button at the top of the page.